Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Playlist of the Week: Geeked Out

by: Sabrina G

Because I’ve spent a weekend attending my city’s incredibly rad Comicon… I thought I should do kind of a geek themed playlist. I couldn’t represent everything I’m a fan of simply because some music things are limited. But I’ve got some superhero themed songs, sci-fi, some vampire slayer themed things, a few tracks from a certain horror themed musical, and wizard rock.

Unfortunately I’m lacking two of my favorites: Star Wars and Doctor Who. Oh and Adventure Time (despite there being several playlist worthy songs featured on the show). Also, given the sheer amount of steampunk themed panels and costuming I’ve seen over the weekend… I feel bad for not including any of the steampunk associated bands that exist. I didn’t know that was a thing until a few months ago and all the ones I’ve listened to are totally worth checking out.

On a bit of a side note branching off that: geek culture is actually kind of full of pretty interesting music. Example: Harry Potter is responsible for wizard rock which is kind of one of my favorite things. It’s worth checking out fandom-linked things even if you don’t really involve yourself in the fandom of a particular show or whatever that you like. There are probably some pretty neat things embedded in there.

Anyway, this obviously isn’t the be-all end-all geek playlist. But I suppose there’s enough fab stuff in this playlist to keep me happy. It’s been kind of my Comicon soundtrack and I thought that because it doesn’t really suck… I should share:


  1. Sci-Fi Wasabi – Cibo Matto
  2. Starman – David Bowie
  3. Flash – Queen
  4. Spiderman – The Ramones
  5. Magneto and Titanium Man – Wings
  6. Ghost Rider – Suicide
  7. Plastic Man – The Kinks
  8. Nobody Loves the Hulk – The Traits
  9. Night Surgeon – from Repo! The Genetic Opera
  10. Zydrate Anatomy – from Repo! The Genetic Opera
  11. Let the Monster Rise – from Repo! The Genetic Opera
  12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Nerf Herder
  13. I’ll Never Tell – Buffy the Vampire Slayer (from the episode Once More With Feeling)
  14. What You Feel – Buffy the Vampire Slayer (from the episode Once More With Feeling)
  15. Love Song for Professor Lupin – The Parselmouths
  16. Insufferable Know-It-All Hermione Granger – Gred and Forge
  17. Voldemort is Awesome – Draco and the Malfoys
  18. Hippogriffs Deserve to Die – Draco and the Malfoys
  19. Draco and Harry – The Whomping Willows*
  20. Voldemort Can’t Stop the Rock – Harry and the Potters
Listen to this and other playlists here.

*not available on grooveshark.

No comments:

Post a Comment