Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review: Foo Fighters at Coopers Stadium, Adelaide

by: Nicola Willsmore

It was the Adelaide leg of the Foo Fighters stadium tour at Coopers Stadium on the 4th March 2015. They played to a somewhat lively group of just over 25,000 people. Dave Grohl and his wonderful band proved to those promoters (*cough* AJ Maddah) who said that Adelaide is going through a “financial and mental depression due to a lacking music scene” that music is not dead in our city with his incredible charisma and 2.5 hour set of pure gold.

They incorporated tracks from all of their albums, some more than others, as well as some classic rock covers in the middle. Grohl and co. have a brilliant way of catering to those who have stuck by them for 20 years all the way to the new fans by keeping things fresh but familiar. Even though it was a stadium show, they still had a way of making the fans feel like they were special.
They started with a bang by opening with a track from the new album Sonic Highways, Something from Nothing, which was then followed by the crowd favourite, The Pretender. Just when you thought it was going to ease down, it just got bigger and better. The thing I’ve found with the Foo Fighters is ‘you are never lower than the top, everything is as extreme and awesome as it can possibly be.’
The fantastic music was a given, but the lighting and the visual effects were also very impressive. The stage had a runway and halfway down the runway there was an area for a band setup, which they used when they performed the classic rock covers. The covers were a good addition to the set-list, however I could’ve easily swapped the KISS cover and the Van Halen cover for two more Foo’s songs.
There was never a dull moment during the show whether there be a couple of elongated outros, Dave running around the stage like a mad man, amazing jams or just the mindless chatter that went on between Dave and the crowd. I actually forgot how attracted I was to Chris Shiflett as well so seeing his custom telecaster and footage of him on the screen really topped off the night.
I sat further back due to my short stature and the fact that I can never see in mosh pits, so I saw both nothing and everything. You see a flash of bright lights and then a wave of people in the crowd pulling out their mobile phones to capture the moment as well as puffs of smoke and hands in the air.
Well, to sum it all up, I’d have to put Foo Fighters up as the greatest live band I have ever seen, alongside Queens of the Stone Age. They all just have an incredible energy and are all so extremely talented and good at what they do. I was in awe the whole time, which I loved.
P.S My friend met Dave at a restaurant the night before and told him about me and he said I was a cutie so that really finished me off before I even got to the concert.
Foo’s set-list

  • Something from Nothing
  • The Pretender
  • Learn to Fly
  • Breakout
  • My Hero
  • Big Me
  • Congregation
  • Walk
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • This is a Call
  • Arlandria
  • Monkey Wrench
  • Skin and Bones
  • Times Like These
  • Detroit Rock City (KISS cover)
  • Ain’t Talkin’ ‘bout Love (Van Halen cover)
  • Let There Be Rock (AC/DC cover)
  • Under Pressure (Queen & Bowie cover)
  • All My Life
  • These Days
  • Outside
  • Generator
  • Best of You
  • Everlong




No comments:

Post a Comment