Thursday, December 25, 2014

2014 In Review


I would just like to thank everyone who has read and contributed to RTTM in 2014 for making this a great first full year on the web. This blog has become much more than I could have ever imagined and it wouldn't have happened without all the help I've had. Thank you again and here's to an even better 2015! ~Kitty


Ben

Well, it’s that time of year again. It’s been a long year that has had a lot of ups and downs, at least for me. But one thing is constant: there has been a lot of rockin’ music that has come out and given us hope for the new generation of rock and roll. Let’s take a look at some of my favorites from this year:

Favorite Albums of 2014:

1. Royal Blood – Royal Blood
I first listened to this album when I learned that these guys would be opening for Foo Fighters at Fenway in July, and color me impressed, folks. These guys are heavy, like really heavy, with lots of influence from Jack White and early Black Keys. The guitar tones they use give a very visceral feeling, one to get your [royal] blood pumping.

2. Dream Your Life Away – Vance Joy
I’m sure all of you have heard Riptide on the radio at least 300 times this year. Yeah, you know, that song about being “taken away to the dark side” that gets stuck in your head for days on end? Well, that whole album is remarkable as well; this guy is going places, people. The album brings to mind such bands as the Decembrists and the Lumineers, with heavy emphasis on ukulele and acoustic picking. The whole album brings about a relaxing atmosphere, just something to dream your life away to.

3. Sonic Highways – Foo Fighters
Did you really imagine a list like this that didn’t involve Foo Fighters? You know me better than that, loyal readers. Sonic Highways was, to many, a disappointment of an album. However, on further listening, I really came to enjoy the album. The complexity of Grohl’s song writing and musical approach cannot be downplayed, as this is by far the most ambitious Foo recording the band has produced. I cannot wait to see these guys in July and rock out to all their new jams.

Bands I’ve Been Listening To:

1. Foo Fighters: 2014 has been a year of great change and turmoil for me, moving back home and switching schools mid year. I’ve tended to gravitate towards my comfort bands, and none is more comfortable to me than Foo Fighters.

2. Halestorm: I love Lzzy Hale. Just plain and simple. Her voice is the next incarnation of Anne Wilson of Heart, and she has pure rock and roll in her soul. This band is doing great things, and I am so glad to be listening to them.

3. The Offspring: I have just discovered the Offspring this year, and I don’t really know how I lived without them. Their snarky, yet real songs about the struggle of being a human being resonated with me this year.


Top Songs of 2014:

1. Riptide – Vance Joy: This song is catchy. No, this song is more than catchy. It is the single-most catchy song I have heard in years. I cannot get it out of my head for more than a day before it creeps back in. Not that I am complaining, though.

2. Something From Nothing – Foo Fighters: On an album that doesn’t sound like traditional Foo, one gem appears to bring us back to classic grungy goodness. Heavy and driving, this song has had me rocking out in my car more often than not.

3. Gotta Get Away – the Black Keys: When I first heard this song, I was thoroughly convinced that the Black Keys had found an unrecorded Beatles song and covered it. This song is exactly what I imagine the Beatles would have sounded like in 2014. Kudos to the boys in this band, they have it going on.

Favorite Concert I went to this year:
This was a tough one to figure out for me, since I went to so many great concerts and saw so many big names. It is coming down to Tom Petty at Fenway Park in Boston or Halestorm at the Palladium in Worcester. I lost my voice at both due to heavy singing and little hydration, and they both rocked harder than I could imagine.

Bonus: Dream Supergroup

Drums – Dave Grohl
Bass – Flea
Vocals – Eddie Vedder
Lead Guitar – Jimmy Page
Rhythm Guitar – Stone Gossard
Basically a punk rocker’s dream…with Jimmy Page.

Kitty

Favorite Albums of 2014:

  1. Diploid Love- Brody Dalle
    This was one of my most anticipated albums of 2014 and it did not disappoint. Diploid Love is simultaneously the same old Brody Dalle and also Brody all grown up. It's still bad ass but a bit more cleaned up and takes care of the family. Her first full release since Spinnerette, Dalle has not lost a single bit of her punk rock touch. For those who had listened to The Distillers in their preteen days Diploid Love is exactly what you need in your early twenties. Each song is unique and the pacing of album as a whole is great. The first official single 'Don't Mess With Me' is amazing and just the anthem needed when you're tired of everyone around you giving you crap. And once you're done dealing with those people 'Dressed In Dreams' is there to pick you up. Brody lets you underneath her skin a bit and with that she gets in your bloodstream and this album attaches itself quickly to you.
  2. St. Vincent- St. Vincent
    Before this album I listened to St. Vincent on and off. I enjoyed her previous work especially the album Strange Mercy and her collaboration with David Byrne. This self titled made me completely fall in love with anything and everything Annie Clark though. I mean any artist who can make me want to dance to the line "oh what an ordinary day/ take out the garbage, masturbate" deserves all the applause. Annie's slightly off kilter music and lyrics are exactly what I look for in pop music.
  3. Turn Blue- The Black Keys
    The first thing most people say to me when I mention I'm a TBK fan is "Oh their old stuff is so much better, they became far too mainstream." And while they aren't technically wrong, I far from agree with them. Turn Blue is an emotive album that's groovy but still has that Black Keys vibe. They have evolved a lot since The Big Come Up but damn they still rock. The opening track of 'Weight Of Love' could be the only song on the album and I would be satisfied. Clocking in at almost 7 minutes long 'Weight Of Love' is one of the longest TBK songs out there and it takes you on an emotional roller coaster. The influence of producer Danger mouse is evident especially in 'Fever' and the title track but there's no way I could complain about that. Turn Blue isn't as raw as previous released The Black Keys albums but it's still a great listen.
Artists I've Been Listening to in 2014:
  1. David Bowie
  2. St. Vincent
  3. Arcade Fire

Top Songs of 2014:
  1. Girls Talk- Garbage ft. Brody Dalle
    Shirley Manson and Brody Dalle are an unstoppable duo. I wouldn't mind if they just sang every sang together for the rest of forever.
  2. Death is a Girl- Mini Mansions
    Groovy. That's it. The newest single from Mini Mansions has me dancing at all hours of the night.
  3. Rattled- Lieutenant
    This song snuck in at the last minute. Lieutenant is the new project by Foo Fighters' bassist Nate Mendel and it's just as chill as he is. I'm very excited for the full release.

Favorite Concert:

This is a tough one but I think for the second year in a row Pearl Jam come out on top. Their October 17th show in Moline, IL was one for the books. The band played their album No Code in it's entirety from cover to cover. Eddie also wrote a special song before the show titled 'Moline' which was special in itself. Pearl Jam is just one of those bands that constantly out does themselves and is always surprising their fans with their constantly changing setlist. Special shout outs though to Queens of the Stone Age, Brody Dalle, and Jack White for all melting my face off as well this year though.

Dream Supergroup Lineup:

I think it's cheating that my ideal lineup is already a Supergroup (Them Crooked Vultures) so let's make up a second favorite dream lineup.

Vocals: Brody Dalle
Drums: Matt Cameron
Lead Guitar: J Mascis
Rhythm Guitar: Stone Gossard
Bass: Josh Homme

It's a mess but they would make it work. I'd make sure of it. 

Taylor

Favorite Albums of 2014:

Secret Evil - Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas
One thing I appreciate about living in Austin, TX is my exposure to so many music events. As much as I like to complain about festivals like ACL and South By Southwest claiming all the big bands for themselves, they also bring up-and-comers to our attention...one of those being Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas. I had the privilege of recording one of the band’s sets from this past SXSW during a showcase that I was working. I had imagined that day to be long and boring, with me holding a camera and trying to stay interested; but all that changed - as cliche as it sounds - when this band hit the stage. They blew me away. I hadn’t been so instantly taken by a band in years. At that point, all they had released was a short EP, but ‘Secret Evil’ was slotted for a fall release and I couldn’t wait. And when the band eventually gave us showcase workers a chance to listen early, the album instantly became my summer soundtrack. The sound is so fresh and absolutely incomparable to any other modern artist. The lyrics are dynamic, covering everything from a hypothetical deadman to the act of liberating oneself from a former flame. Hernandez’s vocal styling meshes flawlessly with the rocksteady beats in ways that don’t feel as if they’re imitating anyone who has come before. This band shocked me by beating out my all time favorite band for the top slot this year. That says a lot.

Diploid Love - Brody Dalle
This album could not have come at a more important point in my life. I have been searching for something with a little power and a lot of heart for quite some time and ‘Diploid Love’ was exactly what I needed. Despite critiques Brody Dalle has faced for toning down her former raw sound, I actually applaud the evolution. By shedding layers of guitars and vocal grit, Dalle has showcased herself as an immensely talented melody maker who has a true knack for arrangement. Songs like ‘Dressed in Dreams’ and ‘Meet the Foetus/Oh the Joy’ stand out to me as of some of her best work. Past that though, I am almost short for words because this album means more to me than just lyrics or instrumentation. I’m just so thankful it finally came and that I’ve had all year to let it sink in.

Sonic Highways - Foo Fighters
Even I am a little surprised that ‘Sonic Highways’ didn’t top my list this year. What an anticipated album this was...and I think that is what hurt it most. As a standalone collection of songs, ‘Sonic Highways’ is a powerhouse. You have fresh takes on classic sounds with ‘Outside’ on the same record as the seven-minute brooding song ‘I Am A River.’ It is a tight album, that is for sure. But when taken away from its conjoined HBO show, the other albums in its shared discography, and all of the hype that came first? It can’t exactly live up. I firmly believe that the impact of ‘Sonic Highways’ is made so much stronger when you have the opportunity to watch the TV show at the same time. The knowledge behind lines like, “Looking for a dime / I found a quarter,” really resonate when a listener gets the entire context. While it is not exactly fair to judge music in contextual terms, it’s inevitable when a band decides to make a record this way. Still, I think the album is near-brilliant and I’d even argue that it carries one or two of Foo Fighters’ best contributions to the music world in recent years. It just might not be #1 material - and I can accept that. 

Artists I've Been Listening to in 2014:

Bad Canoes
Beck
Carl Sagan’s Skate Shoes

Top Songs of 2014:

Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas + The Voidz
The first time I heard this song, I was a little confused. The second time I heard it? I knew it was song-of-the-year material. Perhaps it is a personal connection the the lyrics and a love for long jams, but I cannot get enough of ‘Human Sadness.’ Julian Casablancas has always been a hidden gem in the collection of talented songwriters who have emerged in the last decade or so. Some have given him props, while some have attributed his success to ripping off others; I’d argue that ‘Human Sadness’ is the song to put critics at rest. While it may not be the most radio friendly song Casablancas has penned in his career, it is definitely the most original and the one with the post power. 

Outside - Foo Fighters
‘Outside’ is without a doubt one of the most un-Foo song that Foo Fighters have released in ages - possibly ever. It has been noted that Dave Grohl was most concerned about foreign influence seeping in during their Nashville stop for ‘Sonic Highways’ but if there was any impact that came from external sources, they definitely oozed in from the desert. And that is the opposite of a bad thing. 

Too Far Gone to See - the Birds of Satan
I was a lucky, lucky jerk this year and got an early leak of The Birds of Satan’s debut album. Upon pressing play, I expected a lot of similarities to his Coattail Riders projects and I was excited for that groove again. But what came with ‘Too Far Gone to See’ was totally different - and I was surprisingly even more thrilled. My favorite piece of solo Hawkins work has always been his soft ‘Red Light Fever’ jam that came as a bonus track at the end of the first Coattail Riders album. It was raw and it had a lot of feel...exactly what ‘Too Far Gone to See’ has now. Only with this latest album closer, Hawkins has cemented himself as a standout with his arrangements. It is pretty clear that Hawkins can hold his own. 

Favorite Concert:

Foo Fighters live at ACL TV
I wasn’t even supposed to be at this show but patience, hard work (via standing in a standby line with lots of hope), and dedication always works out. And when it works out, you get nearly three hours of your favorite songs ever. 

Dream Supergroup Lineup:

Vocals: Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
Lead guitar: Marissa Paternoster (Screaming Females/Bad Canoes/Noun)
Rhythm guitar: Michael Krygier (Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas)
Bass: Les Claypool (Primus/Oysterhead/Duo de Twang)
Drums: Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Them Crooked Vultures)
… that sounds like an absolute train wreck but they’re all such good musicians, I feel like something would work out.

Nicola

Best Albums of 2014:

Lazaretto – Jack White
Jack White was back this year, trying new things and creating new ways to make a record. I had been waiting for a long time for his follow up to his solo debut Blunderbuss and it did not disappoint as it had a range of different styles. It was not only the music that impressed me, it was all the features on the vinyl itself for example the hologram angel and the opposite spinning direction on one of the sides. Particular songs that stood out to me were: Would You Fight For My Love?, I Think I Found The Culprit, Alone in My Home and Three Women. 

Sonic Highways – Foo Fighters
The Foo Fighters follow up to 2011s Wasting Light is rich in music history about key locations around the US in which they recorded each song and goes hand in hand with a really interesting documentary. As much as the album is about locations in the US, it has a very personal touch, which makes it easier for me to relate to it. I remember the exact moment when this album was announced and the lingering clues about their Australian tour early next year. Stand out tracks for me are Outside and Congregation. 

Diploid Love – Brody Dalle
This was another exciting album for me! I saw Brody back in March of this year and she played tracks off the album like Rat Race, which made me even more excited about the album’s release. I was vaguely familiar with Dalle’s other works but the most exciting thing about this album was that it was a solo record and she was venturing into this on her own. I was very impressed by her work and my favourite track on the record is Carry On. 

Honourable Mentions:
Built on Glass – Chet Faker
St. Vincent – St. Vincent

Top 3 Songs:

Outside – Foo Fighters
I Think I Found The Culprit – Jack White
Talk is Cheap – Chet Faker

Top 3 Artists:

Something for Kate
Queens of the Stone Age
Jack White

Best Concert attended in 2014: 

Queens of the Stone Age / Nine Inch Nails

Dream Supergroup Lineup

Drums: Matt Cameron – not only is Matt Cameron an awesome drummer, but he has one of the best concentration faces I may have ever seen!
Bass: Flea – if I needed a bass beast the first person I would think of is Flea.
Guitars: John Frusciante and Jack White – I think Frusciante is an amazing guitarist, there’s no doubt about it, and Jack White is there to add something different to the table, as he usually does, and it’s fantastic. 
Vocals: Josh Homme or Brandon Boyd – just imagine those seductive yet rocking voices over the full sounding music by the rest of the band.
Now I don’t know what kind of sound these guys would make if they were all in a band together, but I know it would be very, very good. 

Sabrina

Top 3 Albums of 2014:

1.      Enclosure – John Frusciante
 It’s always a gift to hear new music from John. I’ve already done a review of it for the blog (which can be read here), so I won’t ramble too much about it. I love this album because it’s really complicated while still being a simple listen. It’s heavy while being soft. It’s kind of a contradictory enigma of a fantastic album. But then again… it is a Frusciante album.

2.      How’s Your Process? (Work) – Dot Hacker
 I fell in love with this album before it even came out. There was a short (maybe forty second long) snippet of a track a few months before the album came out and I was INSANELY EXCIED. YES ALL-CAPS EXCITED. THAT MUCH. And when it came out… wow. I really love this album. It’s beautiful. It showcases Josh as a vocalist, which I can really appreciate.

3.      Echo of Miles: Scattered Tracks Across the Path – Soundgarden
 Is this cheating? No. Maybe. Regardless, it’s nice to have a great compilation of Soundgarden’s oddities and B-sides. It’s not a greatest hits package, which is what comes out more often than not. I like having old-new Soundgarden. Unfortunately, this one is a bit pricy so I have yet to get myself a copy. I’ve listened to what I can and I’m definitely excited to buy one eventually. But… it’s mostly the fact that we finally got a compilation of JUST Soundgarden rarities that makes this one of my top three.

Top 3 New-To-My-Library-But-Not-New Artists:

1.      Babymetal – I adore Babymetal. I think they’re adorable and hardcore… incredibly interesting and fun to listen to. They’re badass and I love them. The first song I heard of theirs was “Gimme Chocolate” and I sort of fell in love that moment.

2.      The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger – Sean Lennon. That’s all I have to say. He is a genius. I know he’s not the only person doing this (Charlotte Kemp Muhl is neat too) but he’s amazing. I like their sound and creativity soooooo much.

3.      Rasputina – I fell in love with their covers and then the rest came. Only they could take “Bad Moon Rising” and make it into an orchestral soundgasm of gothic proportions.

Top 3 Songs:

1.      Whatever You Want – Dot Hacker
2.      Scratch – John Frusciante
3.      Moth to a Flame – The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger

Dream Supergroup Lineup:  

I can’t do this one because I have different dream supergroups for pretty much every genre of music I listen to. Yep, I have multiple supergroup fantasies. It’d be a mess if I tried to narrow it down to just one.

Hilary

Top 3 Albums of 2014:

1. “So Long, See You Tomorrow” by Bombay Bicycle Club.
            Bombay Bicycle Club’s fourth album release was a little unexpected. While their first album,
“I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose,” was more indie-rock, their second album, “Flaws,” created an aura of pure, acoustic folk. But, their last two albums really took a different turn into the more electronic side of music. “A Different Kind Of Fix” allowed Bombay to dip their toes into the pool of synthesizers and electronic drumbeats, while “So Long, See You Tomorrow” allowed the band to swim laps in that pool. For a long time fan who always knew them as heavily guitar-based, I was unsure at first. But it worked, and I loved it. The album is joyous, celebratory and makes me want to dance.

2. “Lost In The Dream” by The War On Drugs.
            The War On Drugs is the perfect combination of shoe-gaze tunes with Bob Dylan/Tom Petty vocals. Adam Granduciel’s story-telling lyrics also gave off a Dylan-esque vibe that created a fantastic and beautiful album. Songs like “Eyes To The Wind” gave me a crutch throughout my fall and wintertime blues with lyrics that inspired me to better myself, even though it would be a process. We all got lucky whenever the War On Drugs covered Dylan’s “Tangled Up In Blue” oh-so perfectly.

3. “Diploid Love” by Brody Dalle.

            How can any “top” list be without the queen of all music? Brody Dalle has been an inspiration to me since I was 12-years-old, and when she released this album in 2014 major tears were shed. I still tear up during “Meet The Foetus/Oh The Joy” just because of her world-renown growl returning. I saw her in Columbus earlier this year as well, and the album is even better live. It isn’t The Distillers anymore, but Brody makes sure her audience knows that she is never really gone.

Daly

Top 3 albums:


After the Disco – Broken Bells
This album came out in January and remains in the front of my mind even now, 11 months later.  The
Shins’ James Mercer and Gnarls Barkley counterpart Danger Mouse create a powerful duo that blurs the harsh lines between airy, indie rock and retro, electronic dance beats, creating a distinct sound that crosses genres and takes names.

Lazaretto – Jack White
Jack White proves once again why he is king of the modern music scene with “Lazaretto.” It’s an album heavy on the strings, (mostly slide guitar and violins) which give it a more western feel than his solo debut, “Blunderbuss,” but tracks like High Ball Stepper and Lazaretto are true to White’s roots as an over educated garage rocker. The album, which was released on vinyl, sold the most copies of its kind since 1994, proving that not only are records making a comeback, but that Jack White remains on the rise.

Spoon – They Want My Soul
After taking a few years off since the release of their last album, Britt Daniel and the boys came back stronger than ever. “They Want My Soul” is a triumph for long running Spoon fans and new listeners alike. It’s crisp, concise indie pop fronted by raspy vocals and sarcastic lyrics – what’s not to love?

Honorable Mentions:
Turn Blue – The Black Keys
Sun Structures – Temples

Top 3 artists:

Hozier
Benjamin Booker
Parquet Courts

Top 3 songs:

Give Me Something Good – Ryan Adams
Fault Lines – Tom Petty
I Wanna Get Better – Bleachers

Favorite concert:

Paul McCartney at the United Center ​

No comments:

Post a Comment